Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Floating the Kenai








After finding out last night at about 10pm that the guides had an open spot on a boat for me, I was in a mad dash to get a king salmon stamp. Today was my day off and with few clients in house I wanted to get out on the water. The only problem was that I had a heck of a time getting a stamp last night. The plan was to start fishing by 6 am, so I had to have the king stamp last night. Luck would have it that someone offered to drive me into the nearest town where I was able to purchase a stamp before midnight. The Fishing today wasn't the most fast and furious, but will be a fishing excursion I won't forget especially after landing a 46 1/2 inch king salmon that weighed about 5o pounds. My largest fish to date! We were on the water for over 9 hours and between two drift boats we landed one king salmon and a few rainbow trout, including my first rainbow. The king salmon I caught would have made a great meal (probably many meals), but all kings between 46 and 52 Inches have to be released. Great day On the Kenai!

5 comments:

Mary Ann'gler said...

That's my boy! Hey...I have an old Mercury Minnow that looks like that lure! A collectible old lure that is so illegal now! I'm so jealous! Show me some more lures...I'll send if I have lookalikes!

Mary Ann'gler said...

I also need your address to send your check card. A lure or two will be added for good measure. A new fish recipe in return would do well! Love, Mom

ingapeterson said...

Keep sending pictures and tell us what you are doing..so good to hear about your adventure. Keep well..Gram

Unknown said...

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/articles/index.cfm?id=16210§ion=News

Is this near you? It was in our local paper today...

colleen walsh said...

It looks amazing. Keep the photos coming. What an awesome experience for you.