Tuesday, February 24, 2009

10 Foods Once Hated or Feared!

1. Asparagus - I used to hate it, but now is one of my favorite veggies...really good on the grill.
2. Oysters - I remember trying oyster soup that was made with canned oysters. I remember being forced to try it and you can guess the rest. I have since had fresh oysters on the half shell and smoked oysters that I liked.
3. Brussel sprouts - I remember mom and dad making them once when we were younger and I thought they were disgusting. I know many people still dont like them. Try quartering them and sautee'ing them with onions and bacon. Top them with a little honey and they are delicious!
4. Frog legs - I never imagined that I would eat something involving frogs. When I worked at the country club I made fried frog legs that were used as a garnish to a lobster salad. They were very tender and tasted great!
5. Salmon - I was never a big fan of salmon until I went to culinary school. I love in now and have had it in many different ways...beet cured salmon, baked salmon, grilled, manhattan chowder, blacked, smoked, etc.
6. Venison Heart - Never thought I would or could eat this. The last couple of years my roomate had been telling me how good they are. I finally made it this year and it was pretty good.
7. Squid - The name itself may have kept the appeal away from me. It is still disgusting to clean, but it is very good if it is cooked right and not overcooked (calmari)
8. Spinach - Mom used to make canned or frozen spinach as a side to a meal. It was mushy and I thought it was disgusting. I enjoy spinach now. I like it in stuffing, salads, or it is also good as a side to a meal if it is quickly sauteed with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and a dash of lemon juice..mmm
9. Guacamole - I hated the mushy, blended avacodos that were often served as a side at taco joints. I like it now if it is not the blended version, a version that is more like a salsa with much flavor.
10. For those foods not tried. There are a lot of different foods that exists that I haven't tried that may be delicious or maybe I will regret tasting. Never know unless you try it.

What foods did you once hate or fear?

9 comments:

Emily said...

I know you're good, but I still say no to #2, 4, and 6 :)

Mary Ann'gler said...

Someday...you two will have to try the most horrifying food of all time for Christmas..Lutefisk! I will never like that...@#$#!!!

Becky Laswell said...

I will join you in the new love of Guacamole. Your mom mentioning it is what reminded me to check out your blog this morning, in fact. :) As a kid, I never had good guac. It was always brown & mushy.

Now, I love chunky guac (which is far more commonly served at restaurants here, thankfully). Here's my version:
* 2 serrano or jalapeno chiles, quickly roasted in a dry pan (cut in half first), then minced fine
* 1/2 a medium white onion, chopped fine & rinsed
* 1 plum tomato, seeded & chopped
* handful cilantro, rough chopped
* 3 medium-large avocados, scoop out with a spoon, leaving the flesh in chunks
* lime juice, salt, pepper to taste

Directions: Roughly stir together, eat, be happy. I've also learned that if you put leftovers in a ziploc and get all the air out, it will stay green a day or two.

Sometimes, I also add roasted garlic. Yum.

We've been taking cooking classes at one of our gourmet grocery stores off and on over the past few years. Nothing like the education you've got, certainly, but it has opened my eyes to some new foods & techniques.

Mary Ann'gler said...

Tough cooking here Becky...your uncle Mike just told me after 30 + years of marriage...he doesn't like green peppers...oh, oh...there goes my thoughts of using jalapenos!

Emily said...

MMM. I think I am going to make Becky's guac with the enchiladas I have in the freezer.

Mike, you really should start a recipe blog. I'm working on meals for next week and I need new recipes.

Mary Ann'gler said...

P.S. I love mushy spinach from the can...and...canned oysters in hot milk with butter and lots of pepper but fresh oysters would be grander! When on earth did I MAKE you eat either?

Emily said...

Woman! you made us eat canned spinich! I have vivid memories. You scooped it onto our plates like it was creamed corn. yuk. I had no idea fresh was so good.

And I remember oysters at Christmas.

Mary Ann'gler said...

Blame Gram on the oysters. I aquired the taste probably at Christmas because even the utterance of Lutefisk made me gag. And shiver me timbers!!! I MADE you kids eat canned spinich??? Even today I only buy it once in a while. Creamed corn...now that's not my idea of good eats either but Stef lived on it along with potatoes. I do agree though...fresh spinich better! I can just see in a blog 20 years from now...Anna is going to say...my mom MADE me eat squished squash and zucchini and Soy Juice!

Mike said...

This is why having old foods in new ways can be good even though horrible memories exists. In addition to keeping air off of avacodos, the use of acid such as lemon juice,vinegar helps slow the process of browning