Friday, June 6, 2008

Fron the Kitchen





Last night was the busiest night so far. Still not busy enough for me though. We had 2o guests for dinner. I pretty much did everything for guest lunch and dinners. For dinner I made fruit and veggie platters for appetizers for happy hour at 7pm. Happy hour here is a time for guests to meet their fishing guides or adventure guides for the following day. This goes on for an hour and then we serve dinner at 8pm. I prepared blackened salmon with a white wine hollandaise, wild rice pilaf, and cheesy cauliflower. The only thing I didnt make for dinner last night was the dessert. Lisa, the head chef, was gone most of the night, but came back and made blueberry breadpudding with rum sauce. I also whipped up some last minute fettucinne alfredo for a lady that was a vegetarian.


After getting done with work at about 10 I headed back to room when fishing guides Tom(from Iowa) and Jessie(from Georgia) called me over to their cabin. Sushi was on the menu. Jessie had all the fixing for sushi and had caught a couple of sackeye salmon. Jessie made some Philie rolls and I made some sushimi with wasabi and soy. It was delicious and everyone that was around had a good late night snack. It doesnt feel so late though, because the sun doesnt set till after midnight and it comes up at about 4. It never gets pitch black though.

2 comments:

Mary Ann'gler said...

Mike, If it weren't for your dad and my trip to Mexico to taste fresh Sebeche (sp) (YUMMY!)... I'd swear you had turned into a fish to eat Sushi!!! Raw fish (cod) in Minnesota...unless it's gone through a nightmare process with lye...(lutefisk)...is still not good eats...to me AND I'm your Scandinavian side of the family! Cook On!!! Send home something fishy your old ma loves to eat! Like...HALIBUT!!!!

Anonymous said...

Mike............ I cannot believe the food you cook.. where was all that when I use to come up and stay there. I won't eat raw fish but the blackened salmon really got the old stomach juices going.

Sounds like your enjoying your time in Alaska.