Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The fish are Biting!





The last couple days here have tested me, and today was a great day to have off. I now live in a wall tent and might have to for the rest of the summer...time will tell I guess. I went fishing today with Cullen and Tom and we had a great day of fishing for kings. We each landed and kept a king salmon and also lost many more. I had the bonus fish of a much smaller sockeye which will taste very good over a fire! The king I caught today was the toughest battle I have ever had with a fish! It was about a 30 pounder and was fresh out of the ocean in the river with lots of power. It gave me a great battle and now I am going to butterfly the fillets. Even for there size,king salmon taste great and look great on a plate. Fishing will only get better and I cant wait! Ive been told about the crazy runs of sockeye and silver runs that will begin in the upcoming month. If it is what it should be it should be a great time of fishin. I have to pull some crazy hours this week, and then I get my first two days off in a row. I hope to get out to bear camp to see the bears, or maybe a little halibut fishing. It depends on open seats and what our clients are doing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tents suck. you need a raise.
jamie

Anonymous said...

OMG those fish are AWESOME! Can see you smiling from here!!!! ha Isnt that something? Wait until you see them come in droves...its just amazing. You will probably see LOTS of bear too. I hope the tent isnt too bad...its so darn damp. Hang in there!

Emily said...

Glad you are having fun, other than the tent thing. I don't suppose you can ship fish home???

Anonymous said...

Im gonna go on a limb and say the tent thing isnt that bad when u open you door to ALASKA and working cant be bad when u know at the end of the week you get to catch 40 lb fish! Take care bud you lucky bastard!

MP

Anonymous said...

lol no shit, ill pitch a tent in Alaska knowin I can fish for something that can eat me

Unknown said...

Congrats on getting employee of the month - nothing better than $ & free beer :)