Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Catching some "butts"






A few days ago I got to go out on the cook inlet in search of halibut. We hit a set back a few miles down the road from fishcamp...flat tire on the boat trailer! We had a spare, but the jack wouldnt fit under the trailer and the lugnuts holding the spare to the trailer were different from the lugs on tires. We only had a lug wrench that fit the actual tires. We had to wait for Kent to bring us a jack and lug wrench that would actually fit. Once me and John finally got the tired changed we headed for deep creek about an hour behind and now we no longer had a spare tire. We did well and I even managed to land a 40 pounder! I caught 4 or 5 fish and my arms were burned out. It is a real workout reeling in these fish out of a hundred feet of water with the tidal currents and the three pound weight used to get the bait down to the bottom. The seas were flat and Jeff a client from Georgia still managed to get seasick. It was a nice day, but clouds were covering the volcanoes..so no pics of them. My roomate John was the deckhand and jim was the skipper. For those of you that dont know ceviche is a type of salsa that contains fish. The fish is cured in lime juice for a few hours then is mixed with pablano peppers, onions, olive oil, vinegar, cilantro, salt, pepper. It was tasty and was a good late night snack for a few of us at camp. The next day I made some fresh ceviche' with some of the halibut I caught. Now 2morrow I am heading for bear camp to see some brown bears. They average 20 bears a day, so seeing a brown bear up close shouldnt be a problem. The flight on the bush plane should be interesting and should be able to see alot.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so fun reading about your adventures..Keep them coming. All is ok. here.We actually have some water by the dock this year. the boat is tied to the dock. Pontoon not moved into the water even. Hope you are having loads of fun. You will never forget this summer.
Gram and Gramps

Mary Ann'gler said...

Now I know why you wanted me to send you some new boxer shorts! The scratching porky by temporary tent, spiders, and the thought of plane rides in fog and sleeping with bears wear out your old ones? :) Have fun! Tell me how you and the fishing guides liked those fly cases and fish ID thingys I sent you too. Love, Ma

Mary Ann'gler said...

How the heck do you filet those sideways fish (Halibuts)?

Mary Ann'gler said...

Gram and Gramps need one of those "mining machines" to put their pontoon in the lake!

Unknown said...

Fun - those fish are so crazy looking. I bet they are even cooler to see in action. Hope you wear your running shoes around those bears!